We know Preston Living Residents are serious about keeping their apartments clean. However, you may have forgotten to add one item to your tidy-up list: Your closet! Set some time aside on a weekend afternoon, and you’ll be thanking yourself Monday morning, when you know exactly where to find your lucky shirt! Here is a simple, step-by-step manual on how to have a neat and orderly closet.
Step 1: Clear & Clean
- Place a clean bedsheet on the floor, this will be your work station.
- Take all contents out of your closet and throw it on your work station (Don’t worry about being neat, just yet.)
- Wipe down all surfaces in your closet.
Step 2: Sort the Goods
- Divide the clothes on your work station into 3 piles: Keep, Storage, & Donate.
- Found your ugly Christmas sweater? Storage!
- Haven’t worn that blazer all year? Donate!
- Take the time to neatly fold any clothes that won’t be hung.
Step 3: Remove the Clutter & Restore
- Clothes in the “Storage” pile can be put into storage boxes & placed on top of your closet, or elsewhere.
- Put all the clothes in your “Donate” pile into bags to take to any local charity.
- Begin placing your clothes from the “Keep” pile back into your freshly cleaned closet, sorted by colour. (By organizing your clothes by colour, you’ll get a sense of order and tidiness.)
Tips & Tricks
- Keep your favourite pieces in the “prime real estate” of your closet, where they are easiest to reach.
- Use the same hangers throughout, for an even more orderly look.
- For an added touch, throw in 1-2 dryer sheets or air fresheners inside your closet after Step #1.
- Use a hanging shoe holder or boxes to organize the shoes in your closet.
- Try to maintain the orderly look of your new closet all year round.
We hope you enjoy your newly organized wardrobe!